Monday 14 July 2014

The railwayman's wife by Ashley Hay

Oh wow, have just placed a hold on Hay's first book if that is any indication of how much I loved this novel.  Beautifully written, didn't want to finish it without going back over it and reading my favourite bits over and over.  Has been a while since a book did that too me.  I loved the way she was able to create the sense of place and the many sad poignant moments.  Really felt drawn to it from the first page although I would say the momentum did slow a little towards the ending.  The young girl intrigued me, she made her so knowing and beyond her years.  Loved the way Mackenzie Lachlan was portrayed, full of love and pride with a sense of mischief and surprise.  I guess I loved it to as part of it was set in a library, a railway library.  This totally intrigued me and led me to research the notion of a railway library and where is was set.
It has much to offer, loved the poetry and the beautiful phrases that were immersed within the chapters.
Will remember this book fondly, thank you for bringing Annika, MacKenzie and Belle to life on the pages.  Especially the delightful description by MacKenzie of Annika in the shop when they bought Belle the most fitting present for her birthday.  Sigh.
As well as the main characters, Frank and the very sad poet are all part of the kaleidoscope highlighting how people find their own corner of the world and try to make sense of it all in their own way.
The sense of colour and wonder features throughout the book with delightful descriptions of light, the colours of the sea, the colours and smells of the library, the colour and force of the trains and the colour and despair of war.
A wonderful novel, look forward to reading her other novel.


No comments:

Post a Comment