Sunday 8 June 2014

The household guide to dying by Debra Adelaide

I can across this one in our library's new BorrowBox eBook list of offerings.  The title and blurb intrigued me so I thought why not download it.  After finishing the novel I felt pleased that I had read it although the timing of reading it was strange as I lost one of my colleagues during the time I was reading it, sadly her passing was sudden and unexpected.
The main character in this book, however, was planning for the day that she would die, she knew it was going to happen as cancer had taken over her body and treatment was no longer working.  The cancer was going to win.  She faced this bravely and head on, making lists, connecting with people she needed to and giving her family hints about life when she leaves.  Yes, she was angry at times but although the novel dealt with the process of dying she seemed to be able to approach it calmly.  I was totally intrigued by her husband's character, would have loved to hear the story from his point of view - he was soooo understanding.
The book certainly beckons you to think about your own mortality, and perhaps more about the celebration of your life - what is it really about?
Interesting, confronting and quite hilarious as the author blends her characters witty responses to a 'dear Delia' column throughout the book.
And I certainly didn't know that Mrs Beeton was only 28 when she died!



No comments:

Post a Comment